Monday, October 10, 2005

Biltong and boerewors

I spent the weekend at my high school reunion in Pretoria. My first impression of Pretoria in October was "wow, what a beautiful place to live". The jacarandas were as beautiful as I have ever seen them. All the gardens are beyond compare. I spent a happy day catching up with old friends and looking around the school. It was very affirming to see that everyone looks just the same. There appear to be two camps. Those that have married and had children and feel obliged to tell everyone just how happy they are and those of us that are unmarried/childless/single/sick of our original careers/all of the above. I was worried that I would be the only one...

We had a rather pedestrian lunch in the school hall. Starter of bread rolls and pates (chicken liver, cheese and biltong). Followed by a buffet style main of roast lamb, chicken pie, potato salad, bean salad and green salad. Topped off with fruit salad, ice cream and meringues. There was something about this menu that reminded me of my childhood. I found it very comforting.

So here is the Great PGHS recipe that we have all been waiting for....

Biltong Pate (a true south African original made my way)

100g finely ground biltong
250g cream cheese
5ml cumin, ground
5ml coriander, ground
squeeze of lemon
salt and pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Place in serving bowl and serve with fresh bread. Very Pretoria!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tech Blogger said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my Technology Information related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest on Technology News.

11:39 AM  
Blogger sharlene debra said...

Loving your recipe Poptart! Regards Moreish

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home