Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Getting old

So I held my first dinner party as a single on Saturday. I can happily report that it was a great success. I was speaking to some of my work mates the other day and the baby of the group asked if life was more boring as you get older. The answer from the grannies of the group (that includes me) was a resounding "no"! We did agree that the desire to go out clubbing was severely subdued with age. But Caroline, one of the other grannies, said that as you get older you get more sophisticated at living it up. Her comment was that now when we have dinner parties everyone arrives with at least two bottles of wine because we have learnt the hard way that one just isn't enough! This pretty much summed up my Saturday night dinner party.

The other thing about getting older is that, probably as a result of all the wine, our bodies are a little more fragile than they were when we were 18. So catering to a wine drinking, decrepit crowd means "dietary requirements". I take all the blame here as I can't quite get my mind around the attitude that if they don't like it they can leave it. And it makes a great excuse for not making dessert when you are feeling VERY lazy!

Anyway, the long and the short of this is that I finally settled on making roast chicken and nice fresh veggies. So here is an easy lazy recipe for roast chicken pieces.

Lazy Chicken

chicken pieces (as many as you need to feed the folks, allow at least 2 per person)
cloves of garlic
2 lemons
handful of thyme
salt
black pepper
2 cups of chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 180deg C. Arrange the chicken pieces on a deep baking tray. Peel the garlic and place in the baking tray. Grate the zest of the lemons over the chicken and squeeze the juice into the baking tray. Sprinkle all the other ingredients over the chicken, place in the oven and bake until the chicken is brown and cooked through. The stock makes a kind of gravy. Serve with baked potatoes and salad for the low fat option.

6 Comments:

Blogger Julia Elvarado said...

Bloggers In Pajamas Unite
Pajamas Media on Tuesday annouced its editorial board and contributors in advance of next month's launch of its network of political bloggers.
Find out how you can buy & sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Rod Pendergrass said...

Nice blog. Your posts were interesting reading. I
have a wine cellar designs site. You can find everything about wine cellar designs as well as how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Please try and visit it, see what you think.
Rod

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you've changed the requirements. I couldn't comment earlier as I'm not a blogger. Stacey says that her brother's blog, also blogspot, gets more spam than valid comments. Insanely annoying!

Anyway, love your blog :), and shall make the chicken like that asap.

I still *want* to go clubbing but my life style just doesn't allow for it, and didn't even before the advent of Kathleen. Yup, Grannies R Us.

Tracy

11:37 PM  
Blogger Synkronos said...

It's not really about not being able to, it's about not wanting to. If you want to badly enough, you will, damn the consequences. And really, you can handle the odd day of being bombed at work ;) I do it all the time! Just, not generally because of clubbing.

The dinner smelt extremely good, I'm sad that I wasn't up to even tasting it =( The chips and dip were all I could face at the time ;)

And, yeah, I would strongly suggest turning word verification on if you are going to allow anonymous comments. Ask me next time you're online at home if you want, and I'll show you how.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Bast said...

To avoid the spam turn on the Word Verification (Settings - Comments). I guarantee that real people couldn't be bothered to wade through the millions of blogs to spam you, those comments are posted by bots.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Bast said...

To avoid the spam turn on the Word Verification (Settings - Comments). I guarantee that real people couldn't be bothered to wade through the millions of blogs to spam you, those comments are posted by bots.
Oh and you can also delete the spam.

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home