Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Influen.za

I have spent the last few days trying to fight off a bout of the flu. Not funny stuff! Sadly missing work despite life threatening illness is considered a terrible weakness so no lazing in bed for me. It comes as no huge surprise to me that my last few weeks of hectic partying have come back to haunt me. But I have been trying every herbal and hardcore cure I can and I think I am on the mend. The girls at work are all fighting off the same thing and here is our tried and tested recipe for restoring ginger tea.

one knob of ginger
1 lemon
honey to taste

Grate the ginger into a large pot and cover with boiling water. (I use the microplane grater as it grates very finely and without too much washing up but a normal grater will do) Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes. Add the juice of a lemon and honey to taste. Strain and serve. Al really likes this cold like a kind of ginger beer. If you are in need of a hot toddy just add a tot of brandy. But beware this has quite a kick. I make a large batch and store it in the fridge and just heat a cup in the micro when I am in need. On the whole this recipe makes one feel wonderfully virtuous and Caroline insists that it makes her skin incredibly soft, not to mention that ginger is shown to improve the immune system and kill off various viruses...

2 Comments:

Blogger smoczek said...

i think i'm gonna like this blog... food! yay!

:)

hot toddies all well and fine. am not vouching for skin-smoothing properties, but hell, can't do much harm... esp. with the brandy...

any chance of allowing non-bloggers to comment? had to set up faux-blog to get in here, hate selling out... :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Bast said...

You can allow non bloggers to post by going to Setting - Comments and the third option down "Who can post?" change from "Only registered users" to "Anyone".

Sorry to hear you're feeling sick. You should go to the pharmacy and get the cheap ascorbic acid pills and take twenty. According to some people the daily recommended allowance for how much vit c you should take is however much you can take just before you get diarrhoea. Which can be as high as 200 000 mg when you have flu!

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home