Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Lebkuchen

Christmas comes early at OM! Since we are closing next week, we are packing in as much Christmas as possible. As some of you might know I am going on a much awaited trip next Friday, so I might not have time for all those great Christmas recipes. So it seems Christmas comes early to "recipe of the week".

I was very touched that people have actually tried out some of my recipes, and even happier that they seem to be happy with the results! Please post any requests/feedback and I will try to oblige/improve. This little recipe s for a German Christmas cookie called Lebkuchen. They have a wonderfully festive, spicy aroma when cooking and put me in the holiday mood.

Lebkuchen

125g soft butter
125g castor sugar
1 egg
125g treacle (I used honey since treacle is not something I actually have in the kitchen)
400g self raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
White and dark chocolate to decorate (optional)

Beat the butter and sugar together to form a soft cream. Add the egg and beat. Mix in the dry ingredients. Knead lightly and leave to chill for a few minutes. Roll out the mixture with a little flour or between two plastic sheets (much easier). I use the plastic that you get for covering school books but you could use cling wrap or plastic bags. Cut out festive shapes ie. stars, hearts etc.

Place on a greased baking tray and bake at 180deg C until firm, about 10 minutes depending on your oven. Place on a wire rack to cool. You can eat them just like that or melt a little chocolate and dip them or use a plastic bag with a small hole cut in it to pipe the chocolate on to make even more festive designs. I find it best to involve at least one family member and a bit of the "Christmas spirit" for maximum satisfaction! Have a wonderfully merry and happy Christmas!

P.S. Pinkthulhu- Christmas dinner on the 16 Dec sounds excellent and I have diaraised it already. I will be in touch when I get there.

2 Comments:

Blogger firegolem said...

Hey Jules

Hope you get to tread this. Im in Belgium till the 21st sowe can hook up for a drink after that.
0797 318 3938 in the uk.

ciao bella

10:25 AM  
Blogger Margalow said...

Nice blog. Check out my blogs:
Restaurant Recipes
Top Secret Recipes
Food Network Recipes

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home